Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Finished & memories

 Finished "Owl's Playground" in time for a friend's new baby boy.
 I may have shown this before but as we head to my parent's 70th wedding anniversary in September, it's bringing back memories.  I made this for their 50th - not even thinking, at the time, that they may be around for another 20 years.  I was new to quilting when I started this & designed the borders (would do them differently now!)  When I look at my stitching, it was pretty good & I don't think I could do as well now. It's hand appliqued and hand quilted.
 Each of the nine traditional applique blocks have dates embroidered on them which hold meaning for Mum & Dad, the strawberry wreath has the birth dates of my niece & nephew whose Mum (my sister) died some 17 years ago.  The leaves on the borders hold names of all family members and places they've lived and so it becomes a story of their lives.  They're in a old aged home now (rooms side by side), Dad has dementia & Mum is still with it & manages to help all the old people when she can!!!  
Their wedding photo from 1948 is part of the label.

1 comment:

  1. Both are gorgeous quilts. The anniversary quilt is a wonderful family history piece.

    ReplyDelete