Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Found Postcards

This postcard was sent to my mother in 1938 from relatives in Germany,  The writing is so fine & in old German, Mum can no longer read it.  She would have been 13 when she received it.  I think one of her daughters decided to add to its beauty by scribbling in pencil all over it!  Wasn't me, of course!

 When I turned it over, the postmark hit me - this was sent in June, 1938 - brings a bit of history to life.
Don't know when this one was sent.  They certainly did not waste space when writing on the cards, there is the smallest writing around the edge on the front of the card. This card was written by at least two different hands.

This would have to be my favourite - dated 1934 - Mum was only 9 years old & from the village where my Grandmother was born, Billingshausen.  Wish I could read what Tante Olga wrote to her neice, Olga in far away Australia.

1 comment:

  1. Love the cards, have just found your blog.

    cheers
    Christine C.
    Brisbane

    ReplyDelete